Dr. Andrew Steel
Attending physician, Critical Care Response Team Lead, Toronto General Hospital
FFICM, FRCPC, FRCA, MRCP, MB BS.
Department of Anesthesia and Interdepartmental Division of Critical Care Medicine, Toronto General Hospital
Andrew Steel completed his Anesthesia and critical care training in London, United Kingdom. He enrolled in critical care fellowship in Toronto in 2007 and subsequently completed a fellowship in Liver and Cardiac Anesthesia at the Toronto General Hospital. He was appointed as the Director of the international Critical Care Medicine Fellowship at University Health Network, Mount Sinai Hospital from 2009 and 2014. He also endorsed the role of Program director of the Adult Critical Care Medicine Residency and Clinical Fellowships of the University of Toronto between 2014 and 2016. He has been the Clinical Lead of the Critical Care Response Team since 2009.
Previous Appointments if applicable
Program Director, Adult Critical Care Medicine Residency and Clinical Fellowships, Interdepartmental Division of Critical Care Medicine, University of Toronto, 2014 – 2016
Fellowship Director, International Critical Care Medicine Fellowship, University Health Network, Mount Sinai Hospital, University of Toronto, 2009 – 2014
Area of academic focus
Critical care of the transplant patient
Critical Care Medicine training
Lung protective ventilation strategies in the operating room and general adult intensive care unit
Honours and Awards
2011: Undergraduate Medicine Teaching Award, Wightman-Berris Academy, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
2010: Critical Care Medicine Teaching Award, Toronto General Hospital, Interdepartmental Division of Critical Care Medicine, University of Toronto
2005: Research Methodology 1st prize, Imperial School of Anaesthesia, London, UK
1996: Honours Colours, St. Bartholomew’s Hospital Medical College, London, UK
Link to Pubmed
Most Significant Publications
- Downar J, Rodin D, Barua R, Lejnieks B, Gudimella R, McCredie V, Hayes C, and Steel A. Changes in End of Life Care 5 years after the Introduction of a Rapid Response Team: A multicentre retrospective study. Resuscitation. 2013 Oct; 84(10): 1339-44.
- Galvin IM, Steel A, Pinto R, Ferguson ND, Davies MW. Partial liquid ventilation for preventing death and morbidity in adults with acute lung injury and acute respiratory distress syndrome.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013 Jul 23; 7: CD003707
- Russell T, Steel AC, Hawryluck L, Riazi S. Ecstacy-induced delayed rhabdomyolysis and neuroleptic malignant syndrome in a patient with a positive malignant hyperthermia genetic test. Anaesthesia. 2012; 67(9):1021-4.
- Adeniji K, Steel AC. Pathophysiology of Acute Lung Injury. Anesthesiol Clin. 2012; 30(4):573-90.
- Downar J, Rodin D, Barua R, Lejnieks B, Gudimella R, McCredie V, Hayes C, and Steel AC. Rapid Response Teams, Do Not Resuscitate Orders, and Missed Opportunities to Improve End-of-Life Care: A Multicentre Retrospective Study. J Crit Care. 2013 Aug; 28(4):498-503.
Tel: 1 (416) 340 4746