Dr. Ewan Goligher
Toronto General Hospital
MD, PhD, FRCPC
Department of Medicine
Ewan Goligher studied medicine at the University of British Columbia and trained in internal medicine and critical care medicine at the University of Toronto. Upon completion of his clinical training, he undertook Doctoral studies in physiology at the University of Toronto, completing the PhD in 2016. His research aims to delineate mechanisms of injury from mechanical ventilation with a view to prevention and treatment in order to improve outcomes for patients with acute respiratory failure around the globe.
Area of academic focus
Mechanisms and outcomes of patient-ventilator interaction. Respiratory muscle injury from mechanical ventilation, and its impact on patient outcomes.
Honours and Awards
2015 Best Oral Abstract (Physiology), Art Slutsky Research Day, Interdepartmental Division of Critical Care, University of Toronto
2014 Abstract Scholarship Award, American Thoracic Society
2014 Best Oral Abstract, Resident Research Day, Interdepartmental Division of Critical Care, University of Toronto
2012 Best Oral Abstract, Resident Research Day, Interdepartmental Division of Critical Care, University of Toronto
2009 Best Clinical Research Poster, Critical Care Canada Forum
2009 Outstanding Housestaff Award, University Health Network, Toronto
2008 Outstanding Housestaff Award, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto
Link to PubMed
Most Significant Publications:
- Goligher EC, Ferguson ND, Brochard LJ. Clinical Challenges in Mechanical Ventilation. Lancet 2016;387:1856-1866.
- Goligher EC, Fan E, Herridge MS, Murray A, Vorona S, Brace D, Rittayamai N, Lanys A, Tomlinson G, Singh JM, Bolz SS, Rubenfeld GD, Kavanagh BP, Brochard LJ, Ferguson ND. Evolution of Diaphragm Thickness During Mechanical Ventilation: Impact of Inspiratory Effort. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2015;192(9):1080-8.
- Goligher EC, Kavanagh BP, Rubenfeld GD, Ferguson ND. Physiologic Responsiveness Should Guide Entry into Randomized Controlled Trials. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2015;192(12):1416-9.
- Goligher EC, Laghi F, Detsky ME, Farias P, Murray A, Brace D, Brochard LJ, Sebastien-Bolz S, Rubenfeld GD, Kavanagh BP, Ferguson ND. Measuring diaphragm thickness with ultrasound in mechanically ventilated patients: feasibility, reproducibility and validity. Intensive Care Med. 2015;41(4):642-9. [Erratum published]
- Goligher EC, Kavanagh BP, Rubenfeld GD, Adhikari NK, Pinto R, Fan E, Brochard LJ, Granton JT, Mercat A, Marie Richard JC, Chretien JM, Jones GL, Cook DJ, Stewart TE, Slutsky AS, Meade MO, Ferguson ND. Oxygenation response to positive end-expiratory pressure predicts mortality in acute respiratory distress syndrome. A secondary analysis of the LOVS and ExPress trials. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2014;190(1):70-6.