Dr. Eddy Fan
Research Director, UHN/MSH Critical Care
MD, PhD, FRCPC
Director, Critical Care Research, UHN and SHS
Medical Director, Extracorporeal Life Support (ECLS) Program, UHN
Eddy Fan is an associate Professor in the Interdepartmental Division of Critical Care Medicine and the Institute of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation at the University of Toronto and a Staff Intensivist at the University Health Network/Mount Sinai Hospital. Dr. Fan received his undergraduate degree from the University of Toronto, his medical degree from the University of Western Ontario and a PhD in Clinical Investigation from Johns Hopkins University. He is currently the Medical Director of the Extracorporeal Life Support Program at the Toronto General Hospital, and the Director of Critical Care Research at the University Health Network/Mount Sinai Hospital. Dr. Fan’s research has focused on advanced life support for acute respiratory failure and patient outcomes from critical illness. These include investigations on the epidemiology and use of mechanical ventilation and extracorporeal life support in patients with ARDS, as well as on the development of ICU-acquired weakness, early rehabilitation in ICU patients, and long-term outcomes in survivors of critical illness.
Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD (2007-2010)
Area of academic focus
ARDS, mechanical ventilation, extracorporeal support
Honours and Awards
CIHR New Investigator Award (2015-2020)
Link to Pubmed
Most Significant Publications
- Fan E, Del Sorbo L, Goligher EC, Hodgson CL, Munshi L, Walkey AJ, et al. An Official American Thoracic Society/European Society of Intensive Care Medicine/Society of Critical Care Medicine Clinical Practice Guideline: Mechanical Ventilation in Adult Patients with Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 2017, in press.
- Fan E, Gattinoni L, Combes A, Schmidt M, Peek G, Brodie D, Muller T, Morelli A, Ranieri VM, Pesenti A, Brochard L, Hodgson C, Van Kiersbilck C, Roch A, Quintel M, Papazian L. Venovenous extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for acute respiratory failure: a clinical review from an international group of experts. Intensive Care Medicine 2016;42:712-724.
- Bellani G, Laffey JG, Pham T, Fan E, Brochard B, Esteban A, Gattinoni L, van Haren F, Larsson A, McAuley DF, Ranieri M, Rubenfeld G, Thompson BT, Wrigge H, Slutsky AS, Pesenti A, on behalf of the LUNG SAFE Investigators and the ESICM Trials Group. Epidemiology, patterns of care, and mortality for patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome in intensive care units in 50 countries. Journal of the American Medical Association 2016;315:788-800.
- Fan E, Cheek F, Chlan L, Gosselink R, Hart N, Herridge M, Hopkins R, Hough T, Kress JP, Latronico N, Moss M, Needham D, Rich M, Stevens R, Wilson K, Winkleman C, Zochodne D, Ali N, on behalf of the ATS Consensus Panel on Definitions and Assessments for ICU-Acquired Weakness. An Official ATS Clinical Practice Guideline: The diagnosis of intensive care unit acquired weakness. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 2014;190:1437-1446.
- Fan E, Dowdy DW, Colantuoni E, Mendez-Tellez PA, Sevransky JE, Shanholtz C, Dennison-Himmelfarb CR, Desai SV, Ciesla N, Herridge MS, Pronovost PJ, Needham DM. Physical complications in acute lung injury survivors: a 2-year longitudinal prospective study. Critical Care Medicine 2014;42:849-859.
Tel: 1 (416) 340 5483